If you are in the UK already and are married or in a committed relationship with an EEA national who is exercising Treaty rights, you may be entitled to an EEA Residence Card which will allow you to stay and work in the UK for 5 years. After 5 years, you can apply for a permanent residence card.

Although not compulsory, the residence card may help you re-enter the UK more quickly and easily if you travel abroad. It is also helpful to be able to show employers you’re allowed to work in the UK and help prove that you qualify for certain benefits and services.

What are the main eligibility requirements for an EEA Residence Card?

  • Your family member is an EEA national in the UK (but not a British citizen);
  • You are the ‘family member’ or an ‘extended family member’ of an EEA national;
  • The EEA national is a qualified person – someone who is exercising Treaty rights or has the right of permanent residence.

A ‘family member’ includes:

  • A spouse or civil partner of an EEA national;
  • A child of an EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner who is under 21;
  • A child of an EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner, aged over 21 and who is dependent on the EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner;
  • A parent or grandparent who is dependent on the EEA national or his/her spouse;

How our immigration advisers will assist

We will assist you with your eligibility as well as ensuring you have all the needed documents. We will assist you properly fill out the application form for your residence card. We will prepare a letter of representation to accompany your application and the supporting documents. We will communicate with the Home office through the application process, whenever needed.

Contact us if you have any EEA immigration concerns. Your case will be unique so we will always offer personalised help. Due to the ongoing Brexit situation, it is important that you seek advice from a legal team who is up to date with the latest immigration legislation.